Saturday, March 20

2000 World Championships Flashback: Day Four

Whoops, I never finished my day four flashback yesterday so that means day four comes now (better late than never, I suppose?) and day five will be up later today.

My greatest memory from the 2000 World Championships is what I am going to feature today, and it happens in the ladies free skate. Yes, Michelle Kwan had a great skate to win her third world title and Irina Slutskaya put up a strong challenge, but THE skate of the final group belonged to home-country girl Vanessa Gusmeroli, in my opinion. She had the skate of her life just two months earlier at the European Championships, and repeated it in Nice with another amazing performance. Unfortunately, at both events, she had to settle for 4th place, but these two free skates still remain two of my favorite performances ever, by anyone. I included both of them below. The World Championship performance comes first.



No comments: