Friday, March 26

2010 World Championships - Free Dance

No commentary from me on the free dance. The first two portions were fun, but it's really hard to describe ice dancing in writing and on top of that in real-time, so maybe just some thoughts about the final group when it comes time.

I once again enjoyed the Czechs, their free dance really seemed to fly by, and I really like her personality. Yu/Wang also were also pleasant surprises, she's very pretty. The Austrians I find somewhat sloppy in everything they do, and I was bored by the first half of their dance but I'm liking the second half when the music picks up. It's different..

I haven't followed dance all year. Are Carron/Jones' free dance costumes the same as Delobel and Schoenfelder's from 2001 and 2002?

I really didn't care for Hoffmann/Zavozin. At first, I thought that it would be a nice change from the previous two teams, but that was just not good all-around in my opinion.

I was just going to blog about this piece that Rubleva/Shefer are skating to, Une Vie d'Amour and how Belbin/Agosto used it in 2000, I think? And she just mentioned it. Rubleva got her dress stuck in her blade and very subtly pulled it out.. Belbin/Agosto also ran into that problem one of the first times I saw them, at the 2000 World Junior Championships. Funny how some things stick with you, and unbelievable that it was 10 years ago already.

Cappellini and LaNotte with the big error.. I thought she was too dramatic about it at the end but I understand that she probably feels terrible about having bad skates in the original and free dance in their home country, and now they will probably JUST miss helping qualify three teams for next year.. Crone and Poirier looked a bit frantic to me at times but they did well. Zaretskis, I liked the dance more than I thought I was going to but I still don't really understand their scores.

Really enjoyed Pechalat and Bourzat. Good decision to go back to the other dance. This seasons dance was creative but it just didn't get the point across or flow as well. Davis/White, I love this program, and I don't think I'll get sick of it. It might be the best I've seen it performed. Even though the very end, the intensity was still there and they really went all-out. Pressure is on for sure. Virtue and Moir didn't have the impact for me that they had in Vancouver, but it was still pretty good aside from the slight balance check on his twizzle. As far as who should have won, I can't decide that unless I actually scored it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, give yourself a break!!

Wicked said...

The PBP has been awesome thus far, Tony. Thank you.

Tony said...

You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoy :-)

Anonymous said...

What to say if result is already known?

Tony said...

You never know, did you watch the ladies short program? While mistakes in ice dance, or at least severe mistakes, are less common-- you can never be too sure. Davis and White skate right before Virtue and Moir. They have the chance to really put the pressure on (not that I think V/M have a problem dealing with pressure.. :-) )

Anonymous said...

Do you know why the Russians (Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI) withdrew?

Anonymous said...

AFAIK, NOVITSKI ~ aggravation of the old knee (left) injury...
(((

Covergirl said...

Seems the judges wanted to make sure the Russians have at least 2 couples at the World's next year with those marks for Bobrova & Soloviev..
If they'd fallen out of the top 10 the Russians would only qualify to send ONE couple next year.. I was pretty certain they weren't going to let that happen..
Shame the judges didn't know the 2nd Italians were going to implode.. they wouldn't have had to go so strong on those inflated marks.

Covergirl said...

I thought the French had different costumes on.. I was right. Seems they have abandoned this year's free dance and gone back to last years.. Shame I liked the "clock' routine.

Tony said...

I think it was a good move on their part. Their clock routine just got lost in translation, I think.

Covergirl said...

I predict V & M will lose the free but win the gold...

Covergirl said...

I think you're right about the 'clock'.. the judges just didn't 'get' it.