Wednesday, March 10

Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds, Replaced by Adam Rippon


THREE-TIME U.S. CHAMPION JOHNNY WEIR WITHDRAWS FROM 2010 WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS

Am I that surprised by this? Honestly, not really. I used to enjoy Weir when he was first coming up in the senior ranks, but the last few years, I've felt like his head has been in other places-- probably preparing himself for opportunities for when he does retire (as if he didn't already have plenty coming!)

On the other hand, Rippon, who won the last two World Junior Championships as well as the recent Four Continents Championship, will be a nice addition to Torino. He joins Jeremy Abbott and Ryan Bradley, who is the alternate for Olympic Champion Evan Lysacek. The top two finishers of these three men will need to have their combined placements at 13 or less if they want to send three entries to the 2011 World Championships.

Added 12:00PM: This article from Universal Sports includes a quote by Weir stating, "I will continue to work hard ... and I hope my work for next season will be the most exciting of my career." I guess he's not planning on leaving the ISU-eligible ranks yet, but it wouldn't exactly be shocking if he changes his mind about that one over the summer.

No comments: