Friday, March 26

Formspring.me: Once again, Tony, great job. Your blogging is fair and even-handed and I respect your opinions, even when I disagree, because you're so reasonable in how your present your thoughts. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what Jeremy Abbott needs to do

Thanks, I'm glad you think so!

As far as Abbott, I do think he was a bit screwed over here EVEN IF he was really flat throughout his free skate and through the first part of his short program. He let loose a bit towards the end of it, but it still wasn't as flowing and free as I know he's capable of.

To me, his problem is that he always looks SO intense. He's never relaxed, and it's almost like it's a shock when he skates well. It shouldn't be like that. While his programs have great choreography and he has skating skills among the best of them, his reserved nature makes it really hard for him to stand out unless he puts at least some effort into the energy of the program. His eyes at the end of the free skate maybe it look like he had no sleep the night before, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that was partially true due to his nerves.

1 comment:

yokohamamama said...

It is a surprise--the first time I saw him skate was at Skate America last year, where he skated extremely well. My one thought when he was done:

"Looks like a hayseed, but *damn* he can skate!"