Tuesday, April 20

Robbed? I Sure Thought So in 2002

Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas skated their hearts out in Salt Lake City, but ended up in 5th place behind two teams who had major errors in their free dances. Watch their program as well as the free dances of Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio, and Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz. Were the Lithuanians robbed? I definitely thought so. If you're newer to skating, make sure you remember this was the 6.0 system and not the IJS.

I can see where each of the three programs had their problems-- I didn't care for the concept of the Canadians' or Italians' dances at all, and I do recognize the pattern issues with the Lithuanians' dance. Drobiazko didn't always carry the best posture, but it definitely wasn't as bad as that of Margaglio-- he always seemed like he was being dragged for the ride and was praying for dear life that he'd stay on his feet. Anyways, what do you think?





1 comment:

jumping clapping man said...

I don't like the Euro-trash style of the Lithuanians program. However, I was always a fan of theirs and wanted to see them have their moment (at least they got World bronze). I was repeatedly disappointed to see them lose bronze (or better) to politics.

I did love the MJ number, so it biased me in favor of Bourne/Kraatz that season.