Saturday, April 24

Sometimes We Get Lost in All of the Numbers...

Short story. Or I'll try to make it that way. When I am driving, I always plug my Ipod in as the source of music, and it goes through a big list of all of the songs that I have given high ratings. Today, "Rise" by Safri Duo came on and it reminded me of Brian Joubert's short program performance from the World Championships a little bit over a month ago. Even though he finished third there, he had a clean skate with a quad combination and really redeemed himself from the disaster of Vancouver. More than anything, though, was how he skated not only to make up for his disappointment, but also for the crowd. You can see how much he enjoys their participation and how he engages with them throughout the program. With all of the counting of spin revolutions and watching closely for every single take-off edge and landing position these days because of the new judging system, I know that I personally forget that skating really can be fun, too! I am definitely reasonable enough to see where he loses points versus some other top competitors, but for pure enjoyment value-- this was probably the best of the year.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Brian Joubert is awesome. I really hope he continues until Sochi so he can finally get an Olympic medal!
Also, I lovedlovedloved his program to 'Requiem for a Dream' he did a year or two ago

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear you say so! I'm so tired of hearing that Joubert is "just a jumper" - a crowd does not engage like that with someone who is "just a jumper". I think he has his own personality, his own style - and I like that about him; I like it that there are people with different styles - wouldn't it be boring if everyone were exactly the same? And yes, I do feel sheer "fun" does get underrated a lot...

And I do really love to see his joy - and, no doubt, relief - at the end of that program. When asked in an interview if he meant to continue next season, he said that he would - now; but that he had been really doubtful about that after the Olympics, but he had now proven to himself that he still could skate... I'm so glad for him - and for myself.:)

LRK

Anonymous said...

@Cassie - Oh, I agree - that was a lovely program! I really wished I'd get to see him skate it clean - but never did... LRK

Meri said...

Great post! I agree with LRK that Brian Joubert's reputation as "just a jumper" is completely undeserved. Joubert acknowledged after this program that he wasn't that concerned about the levels in this case, he was doing it to prove something to himself and to connect with the audience. It showed. I still think he was undermarked for it, but this wasn't about the numbers.

I've really enjoyed the last few Youtube videos you posted, it's great seeing skaters who don't often get much attention in the media (and I love Berntsson).