Friday, May 14

How fast are the fastest women skaters? Are they faster than some of the men? Who are the fastest in general?

Kostner and Kim both fly around the rink. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone else competing at the moment that skates nearly as fast as them (but someone please feel free to correct me!) I guess that Caroline Zhang, and formerly Viktoria Volchkova and Jennifer Robinson, can also be thrown into this list...

Just kidding! But Laetitita Hubert was probably the fastest of them all, but she was always so wildly out of control while she did it.

As far as your second question, yes they are faster than some of the men, but I don't really know which men I would consider the fastest these days. I'd have to go back and watch their programs only from a speed standpoint than all of the little nit-picking things that IJS has made me analyze to death. Feel free to share your own thoughts on this one!

Ask me a question about figure skating!

9 comments:

Delonjo said...

Caroline Zhang?! She's the slowest, most ponderous skater EVER. She makes Miki Ando look like Usain Bolt.

Michael said...

The pairs are really the fastest skaters.

Anonymous said...

Delonjo, Tony was making a joke. He even said, "Just kidding!"

Of the men, off the top of my head I'd say Yannick Ponsero is one of the fastest.

Anonymous said...

No one is faster than Yannick Posero. Just look at the speed he gets to go for the 4T. It's amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't Oda really fast? Sometimes I think he might even go a little too fast...

Anonymous said...

I really don't care about skating speed as long as it fits a music or choreography. Figure skate isn't speed skate or hockey. Sometimes overspeed makes cheating or rough presentation.
Sorry Tony. If you will try to find the fastest figure skater, you need to calculate each skater's sec/m for comparing.

Anonymous said...

Oda? His speed appears average.

@Anonymous 10:40 How does overspeed "make cheating"? That doesn't even make sense!

Anonymous said...

This cheating means for movements of upper body. As a result, some skater's PCS is lower then we thought. Like needing more artistic performances.
From Anonymous 10:40

Anonymous said...

I think you can include Mirai Nagasu in that list of top fastest skaters of now. She was super speedy when she was small, but you can really see how she flies now that she's bigger. She was so fast when she first had that growth spurt that she often "ran out of real estate" as Scott Hamilton called it. But under Frank she's reined it in a bit. Only dif regarding Mirai's speed in comparison with Yu-Na and Speedy Fetticini aka Carolina Kostner is that Mirai doesn't carry as much speed coming out of her jumps. I'd love to see her improve upon that next season...but she's definitely one of the fastest out there now. Go back and watch her SP from nationals this year! ZOOOOM! ;)