Wednesday, May 19

Ilia Klimkin

Love or hate his free skate from the 2002 NHK Trophy (in which he won the gold medal)? I remember that I wore my tape out pretty hardcore because I rewatched this program so much. He was basically an IJS skater right before its time, and oddly enough, I felt that his programs were less interesting once the new system took over competitions. Ilia also had a really cool second free skate from this season that he used at the Grand Prix Final (also to the music of Hugues le Bars), but it isn't on YouTube. I also included his exhibition from the 2004 Europeans, to Enya's Only Time. Trust me, it's so much better than it might originally sound! Those upright spins he does are so simple, but he makes them so effective. And of course, the cantilever-- the one move I want to learn in skating before I'm too old and achy :)



10 comments:

Delonjo said...

That was beautiful and interesting. I remember watching the season where Klimkin broke through (relatively). He was always a joy to watch and you never knew what would come next, such as that 3T from his spin dismount. But did he do three or four 3Ts? There was the 3T in combo with the 3A. Then there was the 3T/3T combo. (Wow! That white man could jump!) And the aforementioned 3T. How did that happen? I must be wrong.

Thanks for the memories!

Delonjo said...

Oh! Upon reexamination, he did a 4T/3T. Extremely impressive!

Anonymous said...

I'd been looking forward to a new post from you! Thank you for uploading these interesting programs. Unexpectedly, I got to like his EX to Enya too, lol. But what is "cantilever"? Sorry, I don't know anything about those things.

Tony said...

Sorry I was on a little bit of a vacation from the blog for a few days :)

The cantilever is done at 3:26... not many skaters do it. I've seen Shawn Sawyer do an excellent one, but besides those two, I don't know of any other modern day skaters who include the move in their programs.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering my silly question. I rewatched the video. I'd never seen anyone do that move in competition before. I like it, but just watching it makes my back ache!

Delonjo said...

Dick Button would have on-air orgasms when Klimkin did a cantilever or when anyone did the "shoot the duck." LOL

Meri said...

I really enjoyed Klimkin's Swan Lake SP at 2004 Europeans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLVGHiXtwbQ). I think he used that program as a tribute to his late coach? It was a lovely performance.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Adrian Schultheiss include a cantilever in one of his recent competitive programs ? Or was it in a show piece?

Tony said...

I had forgotten about Schultheiss since he no longer includes the move, but he definitely had one in his Mr. & Mrs. Smith free skate from a few years ago!

Anonymous said...

Actually Adrian Schultheiss has been putting a cantilever (Klimkin eagle or death eagle) in his FS. Check out following YouTube video's 5:06.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf53KvGHPCQ&feature=related
He is so unique and got 9th in 2010 WC.