Friday, May 7

Please, Skate Gods. Listen To My Request Just This Once!

I always get plenty of Formspring questions, or rather comments, stating how either Yu-Na or Mao is just so much better than the other. If you read my responses, you know I like both of them equally but personally feel that Mao Asada has just been given the completely wrong package the last few years. So, here is my prayer to the Skate Gods that be hoping that whoever she works with for next year gives her a vehicle that really shows off her strengths and how much she loves skating. As an example, I show you her short program from the 2007 World Championships, my favorite program of hers. Even with the pop, this is just exactly the type of thing she should be skating to and I'm really hoping we see a return to this style in 2011. Please please please!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nocturne is my favorite SP of Mao too. Although Mao does well with piano pieces, do you know her skating also goes well with jazz music? This video makes me realize that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHgIBwkejGU
I agree with you that her programs in recent years did not fit her style. I think the media trying to portray as her "atheletic" skater is inaccurate. The reason why she goes better with soft and dreamy music is because she actually has a sensitive and romantic style in her skating.

Anonymous said...

IMO she doesn't have a musical note in her body. She has a dazed look most of the time or she's either forcing herself to look angry in her Hell's Bells LP. She skates by the numbers. Oh, this is a happy piece, I'm going to smile. This is a dark piece, I'm going to be mad. There is never anything deeper, more intuitive than that.

Anonymous said...

Poor Mao & Yuna! There are always people who are nitpicking them like Cinderella's stepmother - perhaps it's because they are both so superb in different ways.
To me, Mao is a unique skater who can depict unworldly pureness even as she grows up. She's not an actress type of skater. Nocturne was a perfect program for her in this sense. She should be showing something mystique and ethereal that evokes similar feelings that people have for beauty of nature (gentle breeze, clear fountain, morning birdsong...)

Anonymous said...

Just because someone doesn't like Mao doesn't make them a Yuna fan. There are longtime figure skating fans who happen to not like either of them.

Mao has blankface because she doesn't understand what she's skating to. It's not pure, ethereal, or all that special. It's shallow delivery. It's meaningless. It only appears to be the mechanics of skating and nothing else transcends the performance.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never wrote it's Yuna fans who are nitpicking Mao but am just tired of people who try to find faults with them everywhere, no matter whose fans or just figure skating fans they are...

I'd rather spend time in thinking about the skaters I love (not only Mao), not the ones I don't.

I will join Tony to pray Mao will show a new, totally different program next season that will enhance her advantages!

Anonymous said...

Tony, Mao has announced she would ask TAT for SP and Lori for LP. Does this sound good to you? It does to me!!