Wednesday, May 12

What Could Have Been...

I posted this on my Facebook earlier today and actually got many responses from non-skating fans! Seriously, though. On top of the triple Axel, look at the distance and height on the Lutz, flip, and especially the loop. I read once that Tonya was doing quadruple loops during a commercial rehearsal, and I have no doubt about it. Her spins have great stretch and nice speed, and the middle section to Send in the Clowns shows that she once upon a time really did attempt to listen to the music. Bad music cuts aside, this long program from the 1991 US National Championships really is AMAZING.



And by the way, her short program from the same year (1991) fit her skating perfectly. All I can do is sigh. The quality of this (and all of the rest of the videos) from the World Championships isn't the greatest, but you should still be able to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I was at the 91 nationals and man, was that program one of the best times of my life! I also attended many of the practices and Tonya was always so nice. Kristi and Nancy...not so much. Anyway, not to make excuses for her or anything but looking at just the skating, she was one of my all time favorites.

J.J. said...

Even though I know she didn't, it looks like she doubled the triple loop. Guess it speaks to just how much height she got on that jump!

Anonymous said...

What a great triple axel that was