Wednesday, June 30

Everything That I Missed

I am back from New York and spent all day yesterday catching up on the sleep I missed. Now it's back to a normal-ish schedule if there ever was such a thing, and here is all the big news that happened while I was gone.

Decisions from the ISU Council: Serbia and Plushenko Ineligible

First, we start off with additional decisions from the ISU Council. The Association of Skating Sports of Serbia has been suspended from the ISU for failing to maintain minimum requirements for membership. Mila Petrovic (World Junior) and Marina Seeh (European and World) were the only competitors from Serbia at the ISU Championships last season.

A Formspring question was asked of me just days before my trip to New York, in regards to whether Evgeny Plushenko's threat of being suspended from the ISU was serious. I suggested that it probably wasn't... oh, how I was wrong. Plushenko is now declared ineligible from competing in ISU events because of exhibitions he was part of during the World Championships, which he withdrew from due to "injury". He didn't have permission from the FSFR, and breaking those rules results in an ineligible status. The decision can be appealed within 21 days, and I'm guessing that Evgeny will only fight it if he thinks that he's coming back in the 2013/2014 season. Otherwise, I'm sure he couldn't really care less. He will be 31 during the 2014 Sochi Games.

Dreams on Ice Exhibition

The Dreams on Ice shows took place in Japan over the weekend, and the big story was obviously one of the new programs choreographed for Daisuke Takahashi by two-time World Champion Stephane Lambiel. He showed his exhibition piece, to music from the "Amelie" soundtrack-- the music that I mentioned to be one of my favorites. Broadcasted skaters were Akiko Suzuki, skating her new short program to "Jalousie", and exhibitions by Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami, Stephane Lambiel, Laura Lepisto, Evgeny Plushenko, Kanako Murakami, and Takahashi/Tran. I'll highlight all of my thoughts on these programs in another post following this one.

French Federation Elections

Well, the decision was pretty clear-cut. Didier Gailhaguet has been re-elected president with 88% of the vote. Marie-Reine Le Gougne of 2002 Salt Lake City fame only received 5%.

More later!

No comments: