Tuesday, June 8

Is 19 too old to start skating? BTW I'm not aiming to be competitive or anything, but just for fun. What's the most difficult thing I could realistically learn to do?

I started skating at age 20! I think that your younger years are especially important to build up your basics. Things like crossovers may appear to be really simple, but you will find very early on that they are actually quite difficult and you won't want to practice them! If you are skating a few times a week and get used to the ice (such as being able to comfortably skate forwards and backwards, stop, perform decent crossovers, and skate on edges), then some elements are definitely not out of the question.

It took me about four months with a coach to go from a Waltz jump and some singles to landing an Axel, double toe, and double Salchow with a large success rate. I still could do so much more work with my own basics, though, but when you start doing the more "risky" stuff, it's easy to slack on the basics.

Everyone is different, though. Some people have no fear and will just learn very easily, while others realize how hard it is going to hurt and take a while to get used to everything. It's a lot of fun at the very least and a good form of exercise :)

Ask me a question about figure skating!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa - an axel and doubles after four months? Tony - you really should be competing as an adult skater. How are your moves in the field? What are your spins like?

NPants said...

I started skating about a month ago at the age of 21! It is a lot of hard work but also lots of fun. I agree that the basics can seem really boring but so long as you mix it up once in a while it's not that bad. I learned how to do a two-foot spin today, just for fun, but I need to still work on crossovers and backwards swizzles.

Tony said...

I should clarify that I had a serious coach and "training schedule", if you want to call it that, for four months before I landed the jumps. Prior, though, I skated for around 6 or 7 months without a coach, just taking group classes as it was a course (offered for credit!) at my college. I also did a lot of the open skates during that time and it helped. My back crossovers still need tons of work, and my moves in the field and spins aside from a one-foot spin and a decent attempt at the start of a sit spin are non-existent.

I really just like jumping, hence why I think I moved so quick. About 3 months after I was landing the single Axel, I had some really close attempts at double Axel. They were all the way around, but I think I just wasn't used to rotating that much and had no idea where I was in the air, so I'd crash hard to the ice. I've never landed double Lutz, though, and double loop I've had better attempts with on the end of other jumps rather than by itself. I've never landed a clean one of those, either.