Saturday, June 5

Of notable Swiss skaters over the years, where would you rank them in terms of their spins?

I think Ruh was the best, easily. I don't know about the rest. Lambiel had great variation and speed in his spins, but he also didn't always have the best flying camel position (it actually started off extremely poor), and he really traveled on the headless spin that he ended his combination spins with so often. Not taking anything away from him, but if you want the best of the best, that's where Lucinda had the advantage. Remember also that Ruh (and Krieg and Biellmann, obviously) skated pre-IJS and the requirements for spins were very basic. There were no levels designated for the number of features, but Lucinda always pushed herself and came up with unique positions. I guess I'd have Krieg following and Biellmann last. Denise obviously has a spin named after her that is very popular now, but she wasn't the first lady doing it and she always took a long while to actually catch the foot. Nothing against her though, I loved her skating.

Ask me a question about figure skating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you about Ruh - she was quite innovative. I do think Lambiel is amazing too - he does travel sometimes on his headless scratch spin but more often than not, he is pretty dead center. As someone who can barely center a half-assed scratch spin, I have to say that his positions, speed, and centering on his other spins make my jaw drop.