Tuesday, June 22

Skate or Skip?: The Results

I've had six polls up for the last week asking whether certain skaters/teams would skate in the 2010/2011 Grand Prix series, or withdraw from their events.

Here are the final results:

Yu-Na Kim 159 Skate (49%) / 162 Skip (50%)
Evgeny Plushenko 84 Skate (27%) / 227 Skip (72%)
Johnny Weir 97 Skate (32%) / 201 Skip (67%)
Virtue/Moir 221 Skate (85%) / 37 Skip (14%)
Pang/Tong 151 Skate (68%) / 71 Skip (31%)
Kevin Van der Perren 105 Skate (47%) / 114 Skip (52%)


Thoughts? Kim was 50/50 almost the entire time the poll was taking place. I have a feeling she will end up withdrawing from the series but compete at later events. Plushenko seems surely out for the entire season, and probably out until the 2013 Grand Prix series (a la 2009/2010). There are no other real surprises. Pang/Tong have apparently stated they now want to compete until 2014, which seems a bit ambitious to me but they are at the top of their game right now, so why not?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plushenko "surely out" - you think he will be disqualified then?

LRK

Tony said...

Disqualified? For what? LOL. I just heard he has no intention on skating in the 2010/2011 season and therefore his entry must have been a hope by the Russian Federation that he would skate at their host event. I could be wrong, though. But he definitely hasn't done/isn't planning anything that would get him DQ'ed. :-)

Anonymous said...

@Tony - For not appearing at Worlds, but doing shows, apparently the Russian Skating Federation wants - or wanted - him disqualified. I think I saw an article about that somewhere, but cannot now remember where. However, there is this interview with Plushenko:

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50&start=90

Do you have any information about this at all? I'd be very grateful to know what is going on, as I am quite anxious about it.

LRK

Tony said...

That sure is interesting. Way for the Federation to really be behind Plushenko, I guess!?

I'll try to find out what I can.

Anonymous said...

I think this was the article I saw earlier?

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50&start=70#p18565

Sorry for pestering you about it.

LRK

Anonymous said...

Oh, and thanks. :)

LRK

Tony said...

If he is suspended for a year, is he really going to care that much? I totally expected Evgeny to go into hiding until the 2013 Cup of Russia after his Olympic silver. He could use this "suspension" as an excuse to not compete, though :-)

Anonymous said...

No idea. But then, the immortal Sherlock Holmes said: "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." :)

LRK

Anonymous said...

The suspension is just a rumor, I don´t think they will make such a decision, but anyway the suspension can´t affect him very much since he declared long time ago that he won´t compete in the 2010-2011 season.
I belive the Federation is pissed off because Plushenko really affords to make anything he wants, retire for good, compete in Sochi, skip next season, etc, they are a little bit frustrated because they like to put pressure on the athlets.