Thursday, June 3

Thoughts on Mirai Nagasu - do you think she's had her fifteen minutes and in 2014 will be ecllipsed by younger skaters like Christina Gao? Or is she really the future of US Ladies figure skating?

We will see if some of the US ladies really start pushing towards the spots at the top next season. Four years is a long time to predict (where was Lipinski in 1995, Hughes/Cohen in 1999, Meissner in 2003, etc?-- they were all just barely starting to make names for themselves). Mirai really has to deliver all season long and prove that she is past the under-rotating of her jumps. I really feel that the USFS WANTS her to be the future, but another meltdown at Worlds (like in the free skate this year), and I think it might be really hard for them to keep her at or near the top.

I know this question had nothing to do with Rachael Flatt, but while on this general topic... I think that unless ALL of the ladies already near the National podium/coming up the ranks have an absolutely miserable year, Rachael is going to have a tough time getting back to Worlds. I don't know why, but I see her falling out of favor real quick.

Ask me a question about figure skating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your assessment, but I think it's too soon to tell how Gao will develop. I think that Mirai will continue to improve.

I also think that the PCS scores at the Olympics and Worlds were very telling for Rachael Flatt.

Tony said...

If Rachael is serious about going to school right before the start of the 2012 season, I can't see why the USFS would really want her to balance both leading up to the Olympics. They will probably want some other up-and-coming girl to steal the show and start to gain the momentum leading to Sochi. That's why I think it'll be tough, even next season, for her to make it to Worlds.

Who knows about Gao. She's under Orser's wing though and I'm sure he can work some magic with her. But again, like I said-- so much can happen in four years!