Sunday, July 25

Do you think that there has ever been a definitive Carmen program in any discipline? What about other overused pieces of music, such as Romeo + Juliet, Malaguena, Requiem for a Dream, etc.?

Obviously Katarina Witt's program was revolutionary for the time, because most skaters back then (from what I can tell.. I was barely born!)) decided to use random mashups of pieces that had no relevance or storytelling whatsoever.

I don't know about the other pieces (Requiem hasn't seen anything amazing yet), but I have to give an honorable mention to Maria Butyrskaya's Habanera exhibition that she used during the 2000 season. I might be biased when it comes to her, but that program was amazing-- especially the footwork in the middle that was timed so perfectly to the music.

Ask me a question about figure skating!

No comments: