Sunday, November 28

Anyone Else Say "Finally!" To Themselves?


I had the rare chance to actually watch skating on American television today, and I got to again enjoy Takahiko Kozuka's amazing Trophee Eric Bompard free skate as well as the final few ladies free skates from the event that I more-or-less missed due to connection problems during the live webcast yesterday.

I was so impressed with Kiira Korpi here. She might have severely under-rotated her triple Lutz and popped a flip, meaning she completed nothing more difficult than a triple loop in part of her three-jump combo (a la Kostner this season), and she did lose some steam towards the end, but I was just blown away by the way she presented Evita with such passion. Now, don't get me wrong. You will notice in one of my Formspring answers from a few weeks ago that I named this free skate as one of my favorite ladies programs so far this year, but this performance took it to a whole new level. I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only one who thought "Wow, finally, a program that really shows off what a star Kiira can be!"

In all honestly, this is probably my favorite performance of the entire ladies Grand Prix season. In a year when I have been totally bored by 95% of the discipline, this was a much-needed pleasant surprise. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think we see nearly the amount of performances post-6.0 that really just go all out rather than have the skater worry about their running jump and combination count and every other little aspect to bring up the point totals.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She really holds the character of the program for me. Even with the mistakes, I can keep rewatching her here.

aims said...

Her FS withstanding, I'm really impressed with her SP as well. I'm SO glad that she finally has two programs that REALLY suits her. Too bad she couldn't make the GP Finals, but I look forward to seeing her at the Euro and Worlds where both programs should be alot more polished than they currently are! She's surely a bright spot in the otherwise bland ladies field this year.

morozombie said...

To be honest, I'm not really getting all the love for this LP but I admit that Kiira has improved immensely in practically all aspects of her skating over the past couple of seasons or so....

When Lepisto comes back, however, I wonder who will emerge as the Finnish ladies #1?

jumping clapping man said...

she was good, but you REALLY think she deserved to be Mirai!? i was shocked.

i'm glad she had her moment, but didn't think this should have been a gold medal moment quite yet.

Anonymous said...

I would have absolutely placed Korpi ahead in components. She may not have the top skating skills, which pro, but her interpretation and performance [by ISU's definition] for me were only surpassed by Czisny and Suzuki this season. And I was going to say maybe Phaneuf's SC short program, but on second thought, I still preferred Makarova's style.

On paper, the skaters aren't supposed to be judged against each other, and I think the judges themselves gave Mirai a fair shot (the technical callers were pretty brutal on, but edge calls and URs are nothing new with her) so they just kind of let the chips fall in the long program. At least one judge still wanted to place her ahead.

URs/edge calls aside, the flow of Mirai's jumps were better in my eyes, but she also didn't maximize her scoring potential in those areas. And ironically, Kiira outperformed her in the elements in which Mirai usually excels.

And if you want to count triples, Mirai did three clean ones as opposed to Korpi's five.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you on everything. First that the ladies have been extremely lackluster this season. I hoped that since Kim Yu-Na was out of the Grand Prix series that someone else was going to be on top and finally there would be a new star. I'm not saying that I don't like Kim, she's amazing, but it would be nice for someone to challenge her spot as #1. But the women have disappointed me. I wanted Mao Asada in particular to stand up and show the world that she is the reigning world champion and a force to be reckoned with. Why on earth did she decide that she had to reengineer her jumping technique is so beyond me...and nobody else's in terms of music and their programs really stand out to me. Kiira is the only woman whose short program and free skate has caught my attention. Her presence on the ice and the grace and power when she skates is WAY more than enough for me, I am sad she couldn''t make it to the Grand Prix Final, she would be have been a good addition to the group. I'm so happy for her win in TEB!