Thursday, February 3

As if the US Nationals mens free skate wasn't already amazing..

To recap quickly, we didn't see three skaters between coverage on IceNetwork and NBC of the mens free skate, because of NBC's decision to re-air short programs during group three of the long program. That meant the performances of Jason Wong, Grant Hochstein, and Jason Brown were skipped. While the former two fell a bit in the standings, Brown scored the seventh-best free skate on the unbelievable day of performances and finished in ninth overall.



First things first. I know I've commented so many times that this exact piece of music (Violin Fantasy on Puccini's Turandot) is a very safe bet and no matter how lacking your choreography or interpretive skills may be, the music will help lift you and also get the audience excited if you deliver. That's my feeling, at least. This isn't the case with Jason Brown at all. What an amazing program in all aspects-- and he knows how to listen to the music! The critical side of me can note that he doesn't have a triple Axel yet nor does his skating have much power to it at this point. At the same time, there's such a seemingly genuine quality to him and the way he composes himself that made me become an instant fan. I hope you enjoy this program as much as I did. Another memory from Sunday, as if we didn't already have enough!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was definitely bought !! Can't wait until when he can start off with a 3A i/o a 2A and throw in a quad. Love his transitions with the Walley and all. Will watch out for him in the future for sure. Tks for featuring him, Tony.

physics girl said...

Yes I found this skate quite exciting and just jammed with great transitions. After that watching Jason Brown, Adam Rippon seemed a bit boring, lots of two-foot gliding in comparison.

Jamie said...

This kid is amazing. His programs last season caught my attention, and his adorably unique look. He's talented and dedicated and I hope he keeps improving at this rate, because his skating has real quality to it, real charisma, and the audience recognized that. He, more than some of the other young guys we saw last weekend, makes me excited for the future of men's skating in the US. Thanks for posting this video!

morozombie said...

Is it just me, or is the music cut identical to Shizuka's? But good point about how Turandot can really transform a skater, it certainly worked for Shizuka in 2004 and 2006 and made her less "icy."

But anyways, Jason was amazing. Loved the 2F-2A sequence.

Anonymous said...

Tony, I hate it when you leave us like this without warning...

Anonymous said...

We saw Jason in Greensboro (free skate) - the adults in the group said, "Wow - this is the kid to watch". He just had "it", somehow. I hope he goes far. After the competition, he endeared himself to the female adolescents in our group by walking around the perimiter of the stadium - I thought my daughter would hyperventilate and keel over when she got his picture and autograph. He's a charming young man, and we hope to see more of him in the future.