Saturday, May 7

Denise Biellmann Appreciation

I have a feeling that the following video is one of those performances that you either love or really hate. I'm a total lover this time around, and I'd be thrilled if I ever get into the kind of shape that Denise is in-- even to this day. Watch the speed and power she maintains throughout the skate, and she was 31 at the time! And to think that I could have seen this competition live (1994 North American Open) in my hometown as a seven-year-old.

Denise ended up winning, but you can see the judges weren't quite sure what to do with it, and I believe this is the only time she ever skated this "Frantic" program.

9 comments:

Blair said...

Gawd, her sal is awesome!

Not sure I love it or hate it, but I can see how the aesthetic of it all could be hard to appreciate. Very unusual.

physics girl said...

Love the program. The outfit, not so much.

Anonymous said...

Are we being abandoned again ??? I know that it's off season and all, but there's still PLENTY of figure skating stuff to dwell on...

I can't help but wonder what on earth happened for Tony's passion for the sport to have died down like this...

Erica said...

Weird program, but wow can she spin, and she's got amazing speed!

Anonymous said...

TONY, COME BAAA~CK !!!!! I MISS YOU !!!!

2004 Ford Focus AC Compressor said...

Very impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing

Q said...

She's a LEGEND! She has a freaking move named after her. I may not have cared for the style of this routine, but there's no denying she's a beast!

Anonymous said...

Tony, we miss you! Skate America is underway! Where art thou?

aisha said...

That’s looks so nice your posting.
Everything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Isuzu FXR Truck Turbo